HISTORY

The Old Police Station’s Origins

The Old Police Station
The Old Police Station The Old Police Station The Old Police Station The Old Police Station

The Old Police Station has a marvellous, historical past, which we have researched extensively as part of our commitment to a quality restoration. Our most useful resource has been GC East’s “A History of Policing in Harrogate and District - The Constables of Claro”, available from the local library in the centre of Harrogate town. The referenced book is a very interesting read, and here are some of the facts drawn from pages 38-41:

The building was occupied by the Claro Division in March 1930, and christened Claro House, a name that according to East’s book is still displayed on the gatepost at the front. The right hand facing house was initially occupied by the Divisional Officer Superintendent McDowell, and the left hand house by Constable 1254 Carlyle who was employed as the Orderly. Later, in 1936, Inspector Smart occupied this house, and the then Orderly PC Morley occupied No. 2 Woodside Walk. Mr Jannaway the Senior CID officer occupied No.4, and the Divisional Clerk at No.6 – the detached house.


The Old Police Station, North Park Road, Harrogate
Image: The Old Police Station, North Park Road, Harrogate


The Police Station in North Park Road, Harrogate, clearly showing the two houses occupied by the Divisional Commander (on the right) and the Deputy Divisional Officer (on the left) - both of which were used as offices until 2012.


Members of Harrogate Division
Image: Members of Harrogate Division


Members of Harrogate Division who were drivers of the Personnel Carriers utilised on the Great Yorkshire Show for many years.

Contact Us
The Old Police Station